Tenants’ Rights and Responsibilities
In New York City, Section 8 tenants have many rights and responsibilities relating to the maintenance and quality of their housing. It is important that tenants understand both their rights and responsibilities.
In addition to universal tenants’ rights, Section 8 tenants are allowed the following:
- Access to the Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS)
- You may move with continued assistance once every twelve months, after completing the initial term of your lease. Contact the Move Unit for more information.
- Section 8 Move FAQ
- Project Based Move FAQ
Project Based Move FAQ
Section 8 tenants must comply with all rules and requirements of the Section 8 program as a condition of receiving subsidy. These include, but are not limited to:
- Providing information necessary to administering the program (including Social Security numbers and income information)
- Maintaining Housing Quality Standards
- Paying your share of the rent on time
- Complying with all the terms of your lease
- Completing an annual recertification package
- Reporting all changes in family composition and income within 30 days
- Reporting any absence from the unit of 90 days or more
- Notifying HPD before moving and obtain a move voucher.